Monday, July 22, 2013

Atheist Discrimination

I think that atheists are discriminated against more than any other "religion" even though atheism is no more a religion than the "off" position on a TV is a channel to watch. (We don't have meetings that I know of, btw.)



I am not militant in my non-belief.  I don't preach it.  My mother and grandmother were Christians, and I love them very much, along with many other family members. I happen to believe they are all wrong in their faith, as I believe billions of others are. Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans and Wiccans... ad nauseam.  You are wrong, I am right.

Why would I knowingly believe something that I say is wrong?

Yet, somehow, declaring oneself an atheist is tantamount to eating kittens or drowning puppies. Even a Satanist believes something, I suppose. But to suspend belief and faith is sacrilege.

I don't think there will be an openly atheist member of Congress, much less President or Vice President, in my lifetime.  There are far too many sacred cows afoot.

I believe in nothing. I have not been to a church service in about 30 years. If there is a funeral I attend, I will bow my head or close my eyes and respect the prayer that may be offered. At my wedding last fall, my father-in-law gave a Catholic and Native American blessing... I was OK with that. I respect the belief.

I am simply affirming my practice with action (or lack thereof). I don't go to service for a reason. Now I am backing it up and not being a hypocrite.

I am an atheist. 

I don't eat kittens or drown puppies. In fact, I think I'm a pretty decent person... but I'll leave that for you to ascertain.


No comments:

Post a Comment