Saturday, January 11, 2014

Quitting

Earlier, on Friday, my wife brought me a cup of coffee.  I had not looked at the clock, I did not know it was afternoon.  I was lost in the day, I did not even know what time it was.  I'm actually an easy-to-please coffee drinker.  Black, thank you.  She was not feeling well, but she brought me a cup of coffee. 

I walked into her study, I had an empty lead crystal glass in my hand.  For dramatic effect, I slammed it down and said "I quit."

Amongst her slowly putting away of Christmas decorations, she did not get it right away and asked me to repeat myself.

So I slammed my glass down again, and repeated "I quit."  (Dramatically expressing oneself is never wasted.)

I talked to her for a bit, I gave her permission to nag me about drinking. I'll probably regret that decision.

I walked out the back door onto the deck, I threw that glass.

That is the second time that glass has gone airborne across the back yard.  It is damn near indestructible.

The first time was about 4 years ago, I got upset at my then girlfriend (now my wife) and got drunk.  Somewhere along the way, I banged my head, and like a stuck pig I bled.  I passed out, she became concerned and when I didn't wake up, she called 911.  I got hauled to the hospital in an ambulance.

I was confrontational with a nurse, I ripped off my C-collar, and was threatened with anesthesia.  (Don't mess with a nurse... they will f-you up!)

Anyhow, my son was pissed at me over that incident. He sailed the glass in question across the back yard.  It bounced off the fence, but it did not break.  It is a lovely glass, as I said, made of lead crystal.  Could it be the lead that is making me stupid?

So...


I quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment