Sunday, August 4, 2013

Facebook Friends into the Vapors



OK, Facebook friends. Here’s the deal:

The other night I received a couple of game requests from a Facebook “friend” I don’t even know in real life. That person is now vaporized into the virtual stratosphere. I went a little over the edge, but I’m back now.

I am not leaving Facebook. Particularly since my back surgery in February, I have found it a good way to connect with people I haven’t seen or heard from in ages. I've been more house-bound than I would like to be. I’m also about 2,500 miles away from the place I grew up, now living in Eastern Washington. (The state, not D.C.) Habit. Seems I have to clarify that more often than I should.

There is an ad on TV, I can’t remember for what, maybe an internet service, in which someone talks about having 2000 Facebook friends. What a bunch of virtual tripe.

There are many ways to measure your success in life. I do not consider the QUANTITY of Facebook friends to be among them. Rather, I consider the QUALITY of real friends to be a better measure.

I am downsizing. I want my Facebook friends to more closely mirror my real-life friends.

I’d like to get a private message or e-mail from you every now and then. If you want my postal mailing address or real (non-Facebook) e-mail address, please send me yours. I may actually get off my ass and send out more Christmas cards this year.

If you want to, subscribe to my blog. (The one you're reading now) From now on, I’m primarily using that as an outlet for my ranting and raving, rather than Facebook.

(Heck, send me your e-mail, I’ll subscribe you… all you’ll have to do is confirm.)

I don’t play Facebook games, I don’t do Candy Crush Saga, Farmville or Mafia Wars. I’m one of the few humans on the planet that has never watched an episode of Survivor or American Idol. (I've actually pretty much sworn off the 4 major networks because of the garbage they air.) There are some good shows too, but I can either time-shift them, or catch them in syndication. The networks are circling the drain, in my view.

So that’s it in a nutshell. I’m not going away, but if I don’t find you to be a real-life friend, you may find yourself vaporized from my list.

You will be judged by this atheist and cast into the pit of virtual oblivion.


Hugs & kisses!

2 comments: