Thursday, September 5, 2013

Just an Earth-Bound Misfit, I

Ever wonder what it would be like to have your personal gravity reversed?

Instead of being sucked toward Earth’s center at a velocity of 9.8 meters per second per second, to be repulsed at the same rate? Except no terminal velocity… to accelerate into infinity...

For a long time, I have wanted to learn to fly. Recently, I almost dipped into some of my savings to do just that, but the cost estimates brought me back down to earth. Best case was about $7000, but they told me that realistically,  I'd probably be looking at $10,000 - $12,000 in fees, instruction, fuel, plane rental, etc.


So I still wait to get my wings.



(Just a copy of the original video from 1987... back when MTV actually 
showed music videos.  This one struck me, so my apologies for any 
copyright infringement.  I mean this solely as an artistic tribute.)

Awww... who am I kidding? I am blatantly playing a video
to illustrate my own perspective.  But it's still a cool clip!

(If you're reading this in e-mail, you'll need to go to my blog to see the clip... 
videos don't make it through the e-mail food chain.)


LYRICS:

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast,
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I'd thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unladen, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension -- that's learning to fly
Condition, grounded but determined to try

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air,
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night

There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss

Can't keep my mind from the circling skies

Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

No comments:

Post a Comment