Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Runnin' Down A Dream...

I don't know exactly what hallucinogenic drugs Tom Petty or his producers took to inspire this video, but the song is a favorite of mine.  I'm not a musician, but I absolutely love the guitar riffs.



Not unlike Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55", this song is dangerous.

Although I had a reckless driving citation and license suspension in 1982 after crashing my mom's car, and a subsequent speeding ticket from the same VA state trooper (1987), "Runnin' Down a Dream" has yet to get me in trouble, even though I have a tendency to put my foot down and speed when it comes on the radio.

"I Can't Drive 55" got me in trouble outside Pound, VA in 1987, as I mentioned... I was racing a Camaro while in my 1988 Chevy Beretta.  Piece of crap car, ultimately, but I thought it was cool at the time.  My radar detector went off, but I didn't hear it because I had the Sammy Hagar song blaring. The trooper was coming at me from the opposite direction.  70 in a 55.  I was close to the State Line, I almost went for Kentucky...

It would have been a cool "Cops" video as I perhaps became a bullet riddled corpse.

(The Camaro driver was a pussy... I won, except for getting pulled over by the cop...my car at the time topped out at around 130 MPH.  Yeah, I've verified it... not that particular day, but I can tell you the top speed of every car I had as a younger man.)

No comments:

Post a Comment