Tuesday, September 10, 2013

One Tin Soldier...

A duplicate post, almost identical from Facebook, but if for no other reason, it's my archive.
**********

Any of you that know me should know I am not a pacifist. I will defend myself and my loved ones vigorously, and if need be, there will be blood.  I am not squeamish. I will rip your still-beating heart out through your neck if the situation calls for it.

The drums of war are once again beating, and this song came to my mind. I hope we can settle our differences without any additional loss of life. The song is a message of protest, from the days of the Vietnam War.

This song goes way back, and many of you won't recognize it if you were born in the late 70s or afterward. It tells a story of the Mountain People with a treasure they are willing to share with the Valley People, but the Valley people want it ALL and take it by force, only to learn that the treasure is a simple message: "Peace on Earth."

Poignant, but the words that hit me the most deeply are "Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end." Whether you believe in a god or not... I don't think this is how it is supposed to be...



No comments:

Post a Comment