Sunday, March 2, 2014

I Got Plowed Tonight (Part II)

So this is a follow-up post regarding my last Saturday night (Feb 22) collision.


Last Sunday, I called the lady who hit me the night before. I left a message and she called me back shortly after. I offered to let them look at the car before it was towed, because I didn't want them to think I had mystical alien abduction damage or back/neck injury and sue them for bazillions of dollars.  (I'm fine, but the car is bent, to say the least.)

She said she'd bring her husband down, they looked at it and were very apologetic.  She is working night shift in what is probably the vicinity of a minimum wage job.  Her husband is out of work due to back injury. (I get that one... believe me... I get that one!)

So far I've been chastised by multiple people for not getting the cops involved.  Deputy Barney Fife from across the street showed up.  He was a shirtless SCOPE (Sheriff Community Oriented Police Effort) volunteer who drives an almost unmarked car with a light bar. He appeared immediately and questioned whether either of us were drinking. He was waving his flashlight, which he reluctantly surrendered to me in order to check out the damage to the car. I declined his offer of protection "to have the cops here in a minute."

Again, I am not a believer in mystic Karma.  But I do believe in treating others with kindness. Just because you have a kill shot does not mean you should decapitate your opponent.

In my mind, if the other driver had no insurance, my "uninsured motorist coverage" would kick in. Whether she had a ticket or not is irrelevant.  I could have had Law Enforcement pile on with "no insurance" and "Failure to yield."  Probably over $1000 in fines.  From my perspective, my insurance pays either way.  Time will tell if I've been too soft, although I met her & her hubby under less stressful situations Sunday.  They seem genuinely contrite in their position.

I was initially concerned that the car would be considered a total loss due to its age (we just had the trannie rebuilt 1 year ago), but my insurance company is paying for the repair, which is around $2700.  The bumper is being replaced, the wheel, hub & strut also, along with a minor dent to the quarter panel.

I've asked the other driver to cover the deductible, which for uninsured motorist, is $100.  They said they would.

We are getting our wrongs righted... once again... time will tell if I'm being too much of a softie.

Don't get me wrong... I can be your worst enemy if I feel I've been crossed.

But...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-- Plato



No comments:

Post a Comment