Sunday, March 2, 2014

Into the vapors... Part II

Facebook is an interesting way to interact with people you know, and maybe meet some you do not know, or even become better acquainted with people you know (knew?), but not well.

Millenia ago (just a few years in computer terms) I used MySpace.  Found it useful, met some new people, even dated a little (while I was single.)

I resisted the upstart "Facebook."  I found it clunky, but I set up a profile, deactivated it, but then again grew curious and "re-activated it." Haven't really looked back since.

I saw the S.S. MySpace sink while the S.S. Facebook sailed by... I went from one ship to another. The S.S. MySpace became defunct & adrift, and I think I helped bail the last few buckets into her hull  (In the Beginning...)

Now, I am going to fast-forward.  I have suddenly found myself in possession of 128 "friends," many of whom I have not communicated with in ages, and did not know well in the first place, or did not know at all.  I realize 128 friends is a low count in the FB world... but I am stuck in the human world.

Time for either a cartoon flashback, or a cheesy metaphor.

I can't draw well, so guess what you get?

I own a couple of pieces of property. Trees, bushes, weeds, you get the idea.  Some are old trees, some are fast-growing bushes, some are in between.  When I prune a tree, I am careful. When I decide to cut a tree, I am even more careful.  It is easier to leave a tree than to plant a new one. I have cut many trees over the past 19 years of owning these properties, but I don't truly regret any. Some of them just had to go. They were either dying, or they took up too much space against other trees, or were a danger to other things more valuable to me (like falling on a house?)

I warned several months ago:

Facebook Friends Into the Vapors

I cautiously fired up the chain saw, I waited. As I breathed the 2-cycle smoke & oil exhaust, my bushes continued to grow. I thought they'd be OK, I wouldn't notice... I allowed some to grow, I even allowed a few new ones.  That's how I became the possessor of 128 friends, with a bunch of people pending, most of whom I don't recall meeting.

I now live 2,500 miles from where I grew up... suddenly I'm Mr. Popular back there?

No Thankyew.

Tonight, the motor revved.  I went from 128 "friends" down to 90.  I wonder how many will even notice?







No comments:

Post a Comment