Saturday, March 29, 2014

I Want To Make The World Turn Around

From my Facebook, (3/28/14):

Don't really know why this song popped into my head tonight. Maybe because it doesn't get any airplay on mainstream radio any more? (BTW, I have learned to despise Clear Channel and other mainstream radio... separate rant...) Thankfully, I currently have 11,540 songs on my iPod, so I can say "screw you" to terrestrial radio whenever I feel the need... which is becoming more often.

Anyway, this is 80s Steve Miller, with saxophone provided by Kenny G. Yes, Kenny G, but I think it works in this piece. Granted, the audio quality is not the greatest, but it's the only copy with the original video I could find. Hope you listen and enjoy.




There is a longer version afoot, seek it if you so desire.

Now for my ranting, (3/29/14):

Refresh, next day:  I'm not really a fan of Steve's Harlequin makeup, but I love the song.

Now I remember what got me down this track.  I was listening to Jet Airliner on the radio.

Censorship irks me. For most matters, it is not a government issue. Unless the Congress has made a law, it is not censorship.  Clear Channel, or your next door neighbor, can decide what they think is appropriate or not.  (The FCC has power from Congress... that is a separate issue, most media outlets play along nicely and self-censor... we need more court challenges.)

There are essentially two versions of Jet Airliner by The Steve Miller Band.

The original, presented below, followed by the "safe for airplay" with verse changed.

Original (with extended guitar):
(Music, lyrics below)

Leavin' home, out on the road
I've been down before
Ridin' along on this big ol' jet plane
I've been thinkin' about my home
But my love light seems so far away
And I feel like it's all been done
Somebody's tryin' to make me stay
You know I've got to be movin' on

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's here that I've got to stay

Goodbye to all my friends at home
Goodbye to people I've trusted
I've got to go out and make my way
I might get rich you know I might get busted
But my heart keeps calling me backwards
As I get on the 707
Ridin' high I got tears in my eyes
You know you got to go through hell
Before you get to heaven

Big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's here that I've got to stay

Touchin' down in New England town
Feel the heat comin' down
I've got to keep on keepin' on
You know the big wheel keeps a spinnin' around
And I'm goin' with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don't want to get caught up in that 
Funky shit goin' down in the city 

Big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's here that I've got to stay

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's here that I've got to stay
Yeah, yeah yeah, yeah

Big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's here that I've got to stay

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Carry me to my home
Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Cause it's there that I belong

Here is the "safe for airplay" lyrical verse in contention:

Oh well... at least the children are safe, right?

That I don't want to get caught up in that 
Funky kicks goin' down in the city 

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? Or maybe it does, to you. Funky kicks... yeah.

(The offending lyric is at approx 3:05 & 2:15, respectively.)

(What exactly ARE funky "kicks" going down in the city?)

It doesn't matter whether we are talking Katy Perry (Hot & Cold) where the lyrics should read:

You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah you PMS
Like a bitch, I would know

The word "bitch" is simply softened by a seemingly unobtrusive "bleep" unless you know the recording. (I am more offended by the "bleep" than any Katy Perry song, btw...)

Or the Eagles Life in the Fast Lane (A song AGAINST drugs, btw) is bleeped:

She said, "Listen, baby. You can hear the engine
ring. We've been up and down this highway;
haven't seen a goddamn thing."
He said, "Call the doctor. I think I'm gonna crash."
"The doctor say he's comin', but you gotta pay him cash."
They went rushin' down that freeway,
messed around and got lost
They didn't care they were just dyin' to get off
And it was life in the fast lane
Life in the fast lane

I detest censorship in any form. Whether it is a legitimate 1st Amendment issue, or whether it is simply a station or artist self-censoring. I don't like it.

In fact, I am going to openly type George Carlin's Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television

Shit

Piss

Fuck

Cunt

Cocksucker

Motherfucker

Tits


No particular reason, other than protest. I just felt like putting them here in bold-face & color.

Because I can.

Think about this the next time you profess to live in a "free country."

I'll close with a link to a previous post about freedom of speech.  Revisit it if you wish.  But do not be ignorant.

-- Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment